October 16, 2013

molasses cookies



Have I mentioned that my middle son is back in the desert?

He's about half way through his deployment, and I can't wait for him to come home this spring.

In the meantime, I send him cookies!


We've discovered that his all time favorite chocolate chip cookies are a no-go. It can take anywhere from a week to a month for a package to make it into Junior's hands, and even vacuum packed, the chocolate chip cookies are not at their best when they arrive.

However, my sister's molasses cookies are another story. They are still soft and chewy even weeks after I send them off.


Spiced with lots of cinnamon, cloves and ginger, these cookies are a perfect fall treat.

I have big plans to fill them with pumpkin ice cream, as I think they'd be out of this world as ice cream sandwiches.

(Just to clarify, I would not be sending the ice cream sandwich version overseas.)


Molasses Cookies

1 and 1/2 cups melted butter - recipe calls for shortening, but I'm a butter believer
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup molasses - I use the dark, full flavor version
4 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt

I usually soften my butter in the microwave to an almost, but not quite melted point.
Cream butter and sugar, then add eggs and beat until light and fluffy.
Add molasses and mix until blended.
I usually sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl and then add them to the mixer in batches and stir until everything is just combined.
But sometimes I'm not very Martha and don't sift anything but just dump all the dry ingredients into my mixer and then say bad words as the flour goes flying all over my kitchen.

Four cups of flour is a lot of flour to add all at once.

Either way, they always turn out perfect and delicious.

Except for the first time when I made them with no sugar. They were not delicious that time.

Chill the dough for a couple hours, and then roll the cookie dough into balls. Roll the cookie balls in granulated sugar and place on a ungreased cookie sheet. Do not press the cookie balls down. They will flatten out into perfectly round cookies as they bake.

Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

I've made them from all different sized cookie scoops, as I'm always trying to maximize the amount of cookies I can fit in a flat rate postal box. The smaller cookies are usually done the eight minutes and the largest can take up to eleven minutes.


So are there any other cookie shippers out there? If you've got a recipe that travels well, I'd love to hear about it.

Have a happy Tuesday!

28 comments:

  1. My husband's favorite cookies! The recipe I make calls for you to put the baking soda in the heated molasses. I'm going to try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm....why does that lovely green plate not live at my house??? I'll trade you molasses cookies for pumpkin doughnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yum! I can smell them from here. What a blessing it will be for him to eat them and think of his mama.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a good mama you are! Those are a family favorite of ours too.. thanks for the idea of making them! You're right.. they do last well, I think due to all the spices. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. nom nom nom nom nom nom PUMPKIN ICE CREAM SANDWICHES!!!!!!! :)
    You are such good mama! Cookies from home have got to taste even more delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look sooooooo good. I am not the biggest molasses fan but I think I have to give these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum!!! These sounds delicious!! I'm going to save this recipe and give it a try!! Thanks so much for sharing, I'm sure your son will appreciate and love them too! :) ps. I love your pretty green plates and tablecloth! Hope you're having a lovely day! xo Holly

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Yum! And your photos, even yummier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And bam! Just like that dark molasses just got added to my grocery list. Those look amazing. Of course that vintage jadeite and your amazing photography skills don't hurt. I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound delicious! I will be sending these to my son in college. The biggest hit in mailing for my son are Ranch Pretzels...the dorm kids love them. Also, thank you for your son's service.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made Rolo cookies and shipped them to a friend overseas. They hold up really well. I would seal a row of them in a zip lock bag with all the air out of it. Then I stuck them in a Pringles can to help protect them during shipping. Worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you will be so happy when he is finally home!! Those cookies are perfect looking, especially the way you display them. He is lucky to have such a good mom and we are lucky he is serving!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I haven't had molasses cookies in ages. Yours look so perfect! I know your son will love them. Please thank him for all his sacrifices for us and send best wishes. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How special to be able to bake homemade cookies to send to your son overseas! I'm sure he will never forget it. :) I have a very similar recipe called soft ginger cookies that I just love!! My mom and I just had the conversation about shortening yesterday because the recipe calls for it. :) I think what makes my cookie so good is the mild taste of cloves. I always use raw sugar or a decorative sugar too so it will have a little crunch on top! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are a good friend to share such great finds...Cheers to you and your far away boy!

    p.s. hope your day is well, that you have some spunk and energy for whatever today dishes out.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy crap, yum whoa yum. These look ridiculously good. I'm taking this recipe to the grocery store with me tonight so I can shop for the ingredients. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just caught up on your last 3 posts and am so THRILLED that you are almost done with your treatments....love your positive spirit- and your pictures and you....be blessed today, xo!

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a dear sweet momma you are...i think of your boys, brave men. What a joy for your son to recieve this scrumptious treat !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh such lovely lovely pictures...will just have to try this recipe too! Sending my best to you & your family. Hugs across the miles!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks so much for the great recipe~ molasses are my fave! the pottery that you have the cookies in is adorable!!! i must get one~ what would i search on to find it? the shape is so unusual i dont know what to even call it!
    wishing you all the best

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an old planter of some sort. It says McCoy USA on the bottom, but I've never seen another like it. Good luck in your search!

      Delete
  21. I am part of a moms group that bakes for deployed soldiers and I made these cookies last night to send to my October soldier. Oh my goodness!! They are fantastic! I will definitely be adding this to my recipe box to make more in the future. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my.... these look wonderful (especially in the dish)! I have a similar recipe but we put black pepper in them. Hope spring comes quickly for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I mean seriously Teresa, could your pictures be any more beautiful?! I think not!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh dear! another treat I need to try!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. My son starts his 3rd deployment this summer sometime and I am always on the lookout for recipes to use for his care packages. Bless you and your family! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete