October 22, 2013

tomato blue cheese soup


My very least favorite part of blogging is the writing part.

Sometimes it comes fairly easy.

Easily?

See!?!?

Right off the bat I'm stuck on easy vs. easily.

Sometimes, like today, it's a huge struggle to do the words putting into sentences part.

So, since I have recently acquired a recipe for tomato soup that just may change your life, and I really, really want to share the tomato soup love with you, I am simply going to go the bullet point route and leave you to make sense of it all.

But first, here's the picture. Hopefully that will hold you over until I actually get to the recipe part.


Ready? Here we go.

(Where is the bullet point key on my keyboard?)

(I guess we'll do asterisks instead.)

(Chemo brain. Love having that excuse in my back pocket.)

* I have a neighbor.

* My neighbor has an amazing garden - both flowers and veggies.

* My neighbor regularly hosts gatherings for some of the neighbor ladies, of which I am one.

* My neighbor did that very thing last week and served tomato soup as part of the delicious menu.

* My neighbor passed the recipe along to me.

* My neighbor also gave me a large bag full of delicious heirloom tomatoes.

* Score!

* My neighbor is very pretty and sweet and giving.

* I have been on the hunt for a good creamy tomato basil soup for years.

* We used to have a restaurant in town that made the very best creamy tomato basil soup on the planet.

* Sadly, that restaurant closed.

* This recipe is even better than that recipe.

* Score!

* Here is that recipe, along with the changes I made.

Tomato Blue Cheese Soup from allrecipes.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced - I used a very small amount of garlic, as I'm not a huge fan
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper - didn't have a pepper on hand
1/4 large red onion, chopped - used a Walla Walla from my garden
1/4 cup crumbled blue cheese - used Gorgonzola, and let's be honest - I used more than 1/4 cup
1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened - cream cheese makes everything better
1/4 cup heavy cream - used half and half
1/4 cup milk
1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes - used the heirlooms
1 1/2 cups tomato juice - had V-8 on hand
2 teaspoons dried basil - I used fresh and lots of it
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon granular no-calorie sucralose sweetener (such as Splenda®) - good old sugar for me

Directions

1. Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, bell pepper, and onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the blue cheese, cream cheese, heavy cream, and milk. Heat until the cheese is melted and the mixture is simmering, 5 to 7 minutes.

2. Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato juice, basil, sweetener, and pepper. Continue to cook and stir until the soup is heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.

I doubled the recipe because I had so many tomatoes, and I added the Gorgonzola at the end because I didn't want it totally melted.


If you are a tomato soup fan, this recipe is a keeper. It is creamy and dreamy and delicious.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

13 comments:

  1. I'm having issues with the writing part of blogging lately too... Looks delish though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fresh tomatoes; bleu cheese; Score! Tomato basil soup is my favorite. Never thought of adding bleu cheese! I may never surface from the bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy!! Pinning to my "soup" board, you know the one with all of the soup recipes I have never made. :P I love the bulletin points sometimes. Sometimes my brain can only only read so much "deep" stuff (Ann Voskamp, etc.) ;) Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at tomato...blue cheese...am I dreaming?!?!
    So excited to make this!
    Bullet points work well...thanks for another yummy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ymm... Love any kind of tomato soup... I'll have to give this a try. Unfortunately my plethora of tomatoes this summer are now long gone and I'll have to resort to store bought.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds wonderful, I can't wait to try it! I'm always on the lookout for a good soup recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks wonderful! Oh my.. mouth is watering..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Homemade Tomato Soup is the best and this one sounds awesome! Thanks for sharing Teresa. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This does sound amazing. Honest. Someday I might even try it.....until then I'll just eat my canned progresso tomato basil, and dream of the "real stuff." Thanks for sharing the recipe. Honest.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My favorite part are your comments where you changed things. I don't like to cook but this sounds like something I could fix!! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks delish. As do the molasses cookies, though I wouldn't know anything about either of them IF IT WERE UP TO BLOGLOVIN'. For the love! WTH? (You can read that "H" any way you choose...)

    Hey, remember the time I discovered your mac & cheese and made it every month and sent you a comment each and every time? Methinks it's time to give 'er another whirl...it's been too long!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you through Jen at the cottage nest. LOVE your blog. I am your newest follower and I am CRAZY about that molasses recipe just below. It sounds like the ones my Mom made and her recipes were mostly lost. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete